tertiary amyl alcoholnoun
Definition of tertiary amyl alcohol
: a secondary pentyl alcohol CH3CH2C(OH)(CH3)2 having a camphoraceous odor, a burning taste, and hypnotic properties that can be made by hydrating amylene (see amylene ) and that is used chiefly as a solvent; 2-methyl-2-butanol
— called also amylene hydrate
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game