ter·rae fil·i·us | \ ˌte(ˌ)rēˈfilēəs, -ˌrīˈf-\
plural terrae filii\ -ēˈfilēˌī , -īˈfilēˌē \
Definition of terrae filius
1 archaic : a person of lowly birth
2 : a student (as at Oxford University) formerly appointed to deliver a satirical oration — compare prevaricator sense 4
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?