variants: or terefa or trefah or trefa \ təˈrāfə , ˈtrā- , -(ˌ)fä \
plural terefoth or terefot or trefoth or trefot\ -(ˌ)fōt(h) , -fəs \
Definition of terefah
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : the meat of animals killed accidentally or by beasts of prey and forbidden to the Israelites as food
2 : a food, food product, or utensil that is not ritually clean or prepared according to Jewish law and is thus prohibited as unfit for Jewish use
variants: or terefa
Definition of terefah (Entry 2 of 2)
variant of tref:2
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?