Definition of tent city
: a collection of many tents set up in an area to provide usually temporary shelter (as for displaced or homeless people) Tent cities of displaced homeowners have sprung up in the state's Central Valley—even in the capital, Sacramento.— Matt Woolsey Anti-sweatshop protesters at FSU pitched a tent city last March to demand that the school join the Workers Rights Consortium …— Meline Toumani et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game