Definition of tent city
: a collection of many tents set up in an area to provide usually temporary shelter (as for displaced or homeless people) Tent cities of displaced homeowners have sprung up in the state's Central Valley—even in the capital, Sacramento.— Matt Woolsey Anti-sweatshop protesters at FSU pitched a tent city last March to demand that the school join the Workers Rights Consortium …— Meline Toumani et al.
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game