Definition of tension wood
: a reaction wood formed on the upper side of tree branches and leaning trunks and characterized by narrower and thinner walled wood and fiber elements, excessive longitudinal shrinkage, and tendency to collapse on drying — compare compression wood
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game