tel·au·to·graph | \ -raf, -rȧf\
Definition of telautograph
: a facsimile telegraph for reproducing graphic matter by means of a transmitter in which the motions of a pencil are communicated by levers to two rotary shafts that produce variations in current in two separate circuits and by means of a receiver in which these variations are utilized by electromagnetic devices and levers to move a pen as the pencil moves —formerly a U.S. registered trademark
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game