tek·ke | \ ˈtekˌkē\
plural tekkes also tekke
Definition of tekke
(Entry 1 of 2)
: a dervish monastery
Tek·ke | \ ˈtekˌkē\
plural Tekke or Tekkes
Definition of Tekke (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a Turkoman people living on the frontiers of Iran, Afghanistan, and the Turkmen S.S.R.
2 : a member of the Tekke people
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game