te·ju | \ təˈzhü\
variants: or less commonly tegu \ -ˈgü \
Definition of teju
: any of several large blackish South American lizards of the genus Tupinambis (family Teiidae) that have yellow or white bands across the back, grow to a length of about three feet, often raid hen roosts, and are hunted as pests and for their flesh which is regarded as a delicacy
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game