Definition of tawny owl
1 : a common owl (Strix aluco synonym Syrnium aluco) of Europe and northern Africa related to the barred owl of America and having no ear tufts, the upper parts reddish brown with blackish vermiculations, and the underparts buffy, streaked, and barred with brown
2 usually capitalized T&O : an assistant adult leader of a pack of brownie scouts in the Girl Guide movement in Britain, Canada, and various other countries and formerly in the U.S.
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
- Words with Lost Meanings
- ‘Phase’ vs. ‘Faze’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game