Definition of tawny owl
1 : a common owl (Strix aluco synonym Syrnium aluco) of Europe and northern Africa related to the barred owl of America and having no ear tufts, the upper parts reddish brown with blackish vermiculations, and the underparts buffy, streaked, and barred with brown
2 usually capitalized T&O : an assistant adult leader of a pack of brownie scouts in the Girl Guide movement in Britain, Canada, and various other countries and formerly in the U.S.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game