Definition of tawny eagle
1 : a brownish eagle (Aquila rapax) with varied purplish and rufous feathers on the back found in Africa and parts of Asia and rarely in Europe
2 : an eagle of the Indian peninsula that is smaller than but usually considered a variety (Aquila rapax vindiana) of the African tawny eagle
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game