target of opportunity
Definition of target of opportunity
: a military target on which fire or attack is unplanned and which is attacked upon favorable presentation or unexpected discovery or appearance —usually used in plural was permitted to engage any targets of opportunity which I might see — Coast Artillery Journalthis company was held in reserve for … attacking targets of opportunity — Infantry Journal
to affect and impair by alcohol or a drug
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game