talk roundphrasal verb
talked round; talking round; talks round
Definition of talk round
1 : to avoid talking about (a particular subject) especially because it is difficult, unpleasant, or embarrassing They've been talking round the real issue rather than addressing it directly.
2 : to cause (someone) to accept and support something (such as an idea) after opposing it She says she doesn't agree with it, but we'll talk her round eventually. —often + to We can talk her round to our way of thinking.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?