talk out ofphrasal verb
talked out of; talking out of; talks out of
Definition of talk out of
: to prevent (someone) from doing (something) by talking about the good reasons for not doing it : to persuade or convince (someone) not to do (something) He talked her out of quitting school.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game