talk aroundphrasal verb
talked around; talking around; talks around
Definition of talk around
1 : to avoid talking about (a particular subject) especially because it is difficult, unpleasant, or embarrassing They've been talking around the real issue rather than addressing it directly.
2 : to cause (someone) to accept and support something (such as an idea) after opposing it She says she doesn't agree with it, but we'll talk her around eventually. —often + to We can talk her around to our way of thinking.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game