tal·i·pot | \ ˈtaləˌpät\
Definition of talipot
1 or talipot palm : a showy fan palm (Corypha umbraculifera) of Sri Lanka, the Philippines, and the Malabar Coast having a trunk 60 to 100 feet high and bearing a crown of gigantic fan-shaped leaves that are used as umbrellas and fans and when cut into strips as a substitute for writing paper — see buntal, olla
2 : a starch obtained from the talipot palm
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game