take/borrow a leaf out of someone's bookidiom
Definition of take/borrow a leaf out of someone's book
: to do the same thing that someone did I decided to take/borrow a leaf out of his book and invest some money in the stock market.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game