take one's seatidiom
Definition of take one's seat
1 : to sit down in one's usual or assigned place The teacher asked us to take our seats.
2 chiefly British : to begin one's official duties within an organization She took her seat in Parliament.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game