take one's placeidiom
Definition of take one's place
1 : to go to the location where one is supposed to sit, stand, etc. The goalie took her place on the field. The actors take their places on the stage and the curtain rises. The senators gradually drifted in and took their places.
2 : to be thought of or considered as sharing a particular rank or status with others The film will surely take its place among the greatest films of all time.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game