take one's lumpsidiom
Definition of take one's lumps
: to be badly beaten or hurt He took his lumps as a kid growing up in the city. —usually used figurativelyTheir first album took its lumps from the critics.The team has taken its lumps this year, but their play has improved recently.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game