take it upon/on oneselfidiom
Definition of take it upon/on oneself
: to do something that needs to be done even though no one has asked one to do it Thank you for taking it upon yourself to organize the meeting.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game