Definition of tail bay
1a : the bay of a framed floor or roof which is next to the end wall so that its joists rest one end on the wall and the other on a girder
b : the space between a wall and the nearest girder of a floor — compare case bay
2 : the part of a canal lock below the lower gates
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
- The Words of the Week - 6/11/2021
Ask the Editors
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game