Definition of synthetic rubber
: any of various products (such as GR-S, neoprene, butyl rubber, or nitrile rubber) that resemble natural rubber more or less closely especially in physical properties and ability to be vulcanized, that are made usually by polymerization of butadiene, isoprene, or similar unsaturated hydrocarbons or by copolymerization of such hydrocarbons with styrene, isobutylene, acrylonitrile, or other polymerizable compounds, and that have uses similar to those of natural rubber but are superior for some applications and inferior for others and are often used in combination with natural rubber : rubber sense 2b — compare elastomer
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Looking at ‘Bothsidesing’
- On ‘Infringe,’ ‘Encroach,’ and ‘Impinge’
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/20/19
- A Note on the Nonbinary 'They'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game