Definition of synchronous machine
: a dynamoelectric machine (such as a generator or motor) that has a constant magnetic field and an armature which receives or delivers alternating current in synchronism with the motion of the machine and at a frequency equal to the product of the number of pairs of poles and the speed of the machine in revolutions per second — compare alternator, converter sense b, motor sense 4, rectifier sense 3, synchronous converter
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game