Definition of symbolic language
: a language that employs symbols either extensively or exclusively especially : one that has been artificially constructed for the purpose of precise formulations (as in symbolic logic, mathematics, or chemistry) — compare calculus sense 3
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game