Definition of sweet orange
1a : an orange (Citrus sinensis) that is probably native to southeastern Asia, has a fruit with a pithy central axis, and is the source of the widely cultivated oranges of commerce
b : a cultivated orange derived from the sweet orange and usually having fruit with a relatively thin rind and sweet juicy edible pulp
2 : the fruit of a sweet orange
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?