sweep (something) under the carpetidiom
Definition of sweep (something) under the carpet
: to hide (something that is illegal, embarrassing, or wrong) He tried to sweep his past mistakes under the carpet.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game