Definition of swamp mahogany
1 : a small to medium-sized Australian eucalypt (Eucalyptus robusta) that grows especially on tidal flats and yields a reddish straight-grained damp-resistant lumber
2 : a tropical Australian tree (Tristania suaveolens) that yields a reddish hardwood of firm even texture that is used especially for flooring and is highly resistant to damp and insect attack
— called also swamp box
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game