plural surveyors general or surveyor generals
Definition of surveyor general
: a principal or superintending surveyor: such as
a : an official having general oversight (as over an area, department, or function) surveyor general of army purchases during World War I surveyor general of the king's manors
b : a U.S. government official in charge of the survey of public lands in a particular area (such as a state)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?