Definition of surface noise
: a hissing sound in the background of a phonograph record reproduction produced when the needle passes along a groove of less than perfect smoothness of surface
— called also needle scratch
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game