Definition of summer fallow
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : land plowed and frequently tilled during the summer in preparation for a crop the next year
2 : the practice of summer-fallowing
Definition of summer-fallow (Entry 2 of 2)
: to plow and work (land) in summer in order to prepare for sowing in the fall or the following spring : plow and let lie fallow
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game