Definition of summer solstice
1 : the point in the sky occupied by the sun on or about June 22d when summer begins in the northern hemisphere : the June solstice
2 : the time at which the sun reaches the June solstice for dwellers in the northern hemisphere or the December solstice for those in the southern hemisphere
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game