Definition of summer fallow
(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : land plowed and frequently tilled during the summer in preparation for a crop the next year
2 : the practice of summer-fallowing
Definition of summer-fallow (Entry 2 of 2)
: to plow and work (land) in summer in order to prepare for sowing in the fall or the following spring : plow and let lie fallow
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game