variants: or sulfur color
Definition of sulfur dye
: any of a class of sulfur-containing dyes that are made by heating various organic compounds (such as aromatic polyamines or indophenols) with sulfur or alkali polysulfides and are used chiefly in dyeing cotton and other cellulose fibers
— called also sulfide dye
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game