Definition of sulfonated oil
: any of numerous water-soluble oils that are obtained usually by treating various fatty oils or fatty acids with concentrated sulfuric acid or oleum by a process now considered to be essentially sulfation in most cases rather than true sulfonation and that are used chiefly as wetting and emulsifying agents, as dyeing assistants and lubricants in the textile industry, and in fat-liquoring of leather — compare sulfated oil, turkey-red oil
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?