sul·fo·benzoic acid | \ ¦səl(ˌ)fō+...-\
Definition of sulfobenzoic acid
: any of three isomeric crystalline acids HO3SC6H4COOH that are sulfonic derivatives of benzoic acid, that are made either from benzoic acid by sulfonation in the case of the meta isomer or from the corresponding toluenesulfonic acid by oxidation in the case of the ortho or para isomer, and that are used in organic synthesis
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?