variants: or sub-period
plural subperiods or sub-periods
Definition of subperiod
: a period that is a subdivision of a longer period … the Ice Age, more precisely, 10,000 years ago or the tail end of the Pleistocene subperiod.— Robert Carr Let's look at the subperiods of the 1980s. The first quarter of the decade had to be devoted to fighting against two-digit inflation. — The Christian Science Monitor
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game