subject tophrasal verb
Definition of subject to
1 : affected by or possibly affected by (something) The firm is subject to state law. The schedule is tentative and subject to change. Clothing purchases over $200 are subject to tax. Anyone caught trespassing is subject to a $500 fine.
2 : likely to do, have, or suffer from (something) My cousin is subject to panic attacks. I'd rather not live in an area that is subject to flooding.
3 : dependent on something else to happen or be true The sale of the property is subject to approval by the city council. All rooms are just $100 a night, subject to availability.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game