variants: or sub-industry
plural subindustries or sub-industries
Definition of subindustry
: a lesser industry especially : one derived from or dependent on a larger industry a technology subindustry A whole subindustry of agents and publicists has sprung up to manage everything from a chef's media appearances to his hairstyle. — Lisa Abend
Keep scrolling for more
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game