variants: or sub-government
plural subgovernments or sub-governments
Definition of subgovernment
: a secondary or subordinate government : an informal or unofficial association of persons or institutions that exercises considerable influence on a formal government or organization It was an opportunity to enter the elite world of intellectuals and military men who form a subgovernment within the executive branch.— Neil Sheehan … a peek into the secret subgovernment of the Cold War.— Richard Reeves
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?