variants: or less commonly sub-genre
plural subgenres also sub-genres
Definition of subgenre
: a genre that is part of a larger genre The series is part of the booming ''urban fantasy'' subgenre, which features supernatural creatures interacting with ordinary humans in a contemporary city.— Jennifer Schuessler
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?