Definition of subdeacon
: a cleric ranking below a deacon: such as
a : a cleric in the lowest of the former major orders of the Roman Catholic Church
b : an Eastern Orthodox or Armenian cleric in minor orders
c : a clergyman performing the liturgical duties of a subdeacon
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game