variants: or sub-cult
plural subcults or sub-cults
Definition of subcult
: a cult that is part of a larger cult an extremist subcult One of the most powerful agents of the behavior cult is the subcult of work, which focuses on the amount of energy people expend.— Thomas F. Gilbert … a time when almost everybody in the country has more clothes than they can keep track of, and when fashion has splintered into a zillion subcults …— Patricia McLaughlin
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Words of the Week - 6/18/21
- The Disparity Between 'Desperate' and 'Disparate'
- An Impartial View of 'Fair' and 'Fare'
- A Guide to Em Dashes, En Dashes, and Hyphens
Ask the Editors
- Return of Name that Color! Take the quiz
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game