sub·cinc·to·ri·um | \ ˌsəbˌsiŋ(k)ˈtōrēəm\
variants: or succinctorium \ ˌsəkˌsiŋ(k)ˈtōrēəm , ÷ ˌsəˌsi- \
Definition of subcinctorium
: a vestment consisting of an ornamental square of cloth suspended from the girdle and worn by the pope of the Roman Catholic Church when celebrating a solemn mass
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game