stump upphrasal verb
stumped up; stumping up; stumps up
Definition of stump up
: to pay (an amount of money) especially when one does not want to He may be required to stump up for the repairs. If she can't pay, I'll have to stump up the money.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?