Definition of stumble across/on/onto/upon
: to find or learn about (something) unexpectedly I stumbled across/on/upon this book by chance. We stumbled onto/across the ruins of an old fort. They stumbled on/upon a bizarre plot. He stumbled onto the truth.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game