Definition of strophe
1a : a rhythmic system composed of two or more lines repeated as a unit especially : such a unit recurring in a series of strophic units
b : stanza sense 1
2a : the movement of the classical Greek chorus while turning from one side to the other of the orchestra
b : the part of a Greek choral ode sung during the strophe of the dance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game