Definition of strophe
1a : a rhythmic system composed of two or more lines repeated as a unit especially : such a unit recurring in a series of strophic units
b : stanza sense 1
2a : the movement of the classical Greek chorus while turning from one side to the other of the orchestra
b : the part of a Greek choral ode sung during the strophe of the dance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game