Definition of strophe
1a : a rhythmic system composed of two or more lines repeated as a unit especially : such a unit recurring in a series of strophic units
b : stanza sense 1
2a : the movement of the classical Greek chorus while turning from one side to the other of the orchestra
b : the part of a Greek choral ode sung during the strophe of the dance
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?