Definition of string figure
1 : a figure representing any of various objects that is made by passing a string around the fingers of both hands sometimes with the help of a second person anthropologists find the making of string figures common in many simple cultures — compare cat's cradle
2 or string game : a game of making string figures
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game