strike up a conversationidiom
Definition of strike up a conversation
: to enter into a conversation I tried to strike up a conversation, but didn't have much luck. —often + with She often strikes up conversations with strangers.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game