Definition of strict settlement
: a settlement in which in general there is a limitation of lands to a person for life and after his death to the eldest male child in succession with trustees to preserve contingent remainders and with certain rights being given to the younger children
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?